Central College in Pella, Iowa, is a private, four-year liberal arts college. Central is known for its academic rigor, leadership and character formation, global experiential learning, STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) and sustainability education, athletics and service. The Central experience is rooted in exploration and self-discovery and enhanced by life in a residential community365体育投注 of 1,150 students. Founded in 1853, Central values its long-standing relationship with the Reformed Church in America. The college participates in NCAA Division III athletics and is a member of the American Rivers Conference.
is a thriving community of more than 10,000. It is famous for its annual , its Dutch letter pastries and its fully functional 1850s-style windmill. Pella is located just minutes from , Iowa’s largest lake, and is the corporate headquarters of several international companies, including Vermeer Corporation, Pella Corporation and Precision, Inc.
Niche.com named Pella one of the Best Places to Live in Iowa, one of the Safest Places to Live in Iowa and one of the Best Places for Millennials in Iowa in 2018.
Central College is a residential liberal arts college dedicated to helping students discover and develop their greatest potential. Guided by its ecumenical Christian tradition, the college community engages in vigorous, open inquiry in pursuit of academic excellence.
365体育投注The college nurtures the development of the mind, while fostering spiritual and emotional maturity and physical well-being. Central integrates career preparation with the development of values essential to responsible citizenship, empowering graduates for effective service in local, national and international communities.
, just 40 minutes southeast of Iowa’s capital city of Des Moines and minutes from . Pella is a thriving community of 10,000 and home to several large international companies such as Pella Corporation (Pella Windows), Vermeer Corporation, Heritage Lace and Precision, Inc. The city of Pella is known for tourism and the annual Tulip Time Festival that brings more than 200,000 visitors each year.
Central College is a member of:
- Higher Learning Commission
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
- State of Iowa Board of Education
- Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Educators
- National Association of Schools of Music
- American Chemical Society
Learn more about Central’s accreditation.
365体育投注Central College is a leader in environmental stewardship in Iowa and the Midwest.
- It earned Iowa’s first Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating, silver, by the U.S. Green Building Council in 2003 for the renovation of the Vermeer Science Center.
- It earned a gold LEED rating in 2004 for McKee Residential Hall.
- It received a platinum LEED rating in 2010 for the Roe Center.
- It is committed to following LEED guidelines for all new campus construction and to an environmentally friendly campus.
Learn more about Central’s commitment to the environment and campus sustainability efforts.
Central College, founded in 1853 and located in Pella, Iowa, is a private four-year, liberal arts college affiliated with the Reformed Church in America. Learn more about our history. Read our welcome statement.
Majorly obsessed with your future. Central offers dozens of academic programs in the sciences, social sciences, arts and humanities. In 2018, the college celebrated its first graduates from its new engineering program365体育投注. The college also has several professional programs and more than a dozen pre-professional tracks including dentistry, health, pharmacy, law, medicine, nursing, athletic training and more.
It’s all about you365体育投注. With a 13:1 student to faculty ratio, faculty and students enjoy a personalized teaching and mentoring environment. The average class size is 15 students.
You’ll be surrounded by the best. All classes are taught by professors, not teaching assistants, and 85% of faculty members have earned a doctorate or other terminal degree. Your peers will challenge you to use every last brain cell. And 93% of students who graduate from Central do so within four years.
Incoming students’ academic credentials:
- Average ACT: 24 (SAT 1099)
- Average GPA: 3.53
- Top 25% of their high school graduating class: 48%
- Enter with AP or college credit: 63%
Central internships are career builders. Around 76% of Central students complete at least one internship before they graduate. Internship opportunities exist in Chicago, New York and Washington, D.C., as well as hundreds of sites in Iowa and internationally. In total, 99% of Central students complete an internship, study abroad, research or service experience.
Your passport to the world. At least 55% of students have international experiences via Central-sponsored programs. Students may study during a semester or summer for academic credit on five continents. Central hosts director-led programs and partners with other institutions to provide global experiential learning opportunities around the world. Students in music ensembles have an opportunity to perform internationally. Noncredit-bearing experiences are also sponsored through athletics and volunteer opportunities.
Be part of a larger team. Many extracurricular options encourage student involvement at Central, with more than 125 student organizations available to nurture leadership, engagement and participation.
Employers know when they hire a Central graduate, they get the job done. Nearly 100% of Central’s graduates are employed in a field of interest, enrolled in graduate or professional school or are engaged in meaningful volunteer work, such as the Peace Corps, AmeriCorps or Teach for America within one year of graduation.
Your education is a relationship365体育投注. The Central College academic community is dedicated to educating undergraduate students. Nearly 100 faculty and 350 staff members, full- and part-time, serve approximately 1,150 undergraduates, who hail from Iowa, 32 other states and countries around the world. The power of the Central global network through alumni, parents, donors and corporate partners brings significant opportunities for the college and its students.
Be more than a spectator. The campus culture is one of engagement; metaphorically speaking, one cannot be a spectator at Central. Half of Central’s students participate in intercollegiate athletics.
Up your game365体育投注. . The Dutch have won:
- 500+ All-America Awards
- 11 national team championships
- 34 national individual championships
- 184 conference titles
- 63 CoSIDA Academic All-American Awards
- 23 conference all-sports titles
Central’s student-athletes are nearly unstoppable. In the past 44 years, Central’s coaches have been recognized 143 times as the conference coach of the year. In the past year, 96 Central student-athletes received academic all-conference recognition, a distinction reserved for varsity level competitors who are of sophomore standing with a 3.5 or better GPA.
The show starts with you. 365体育投注Twenty-six percent of Central students are enrolled in a fine arts course — art, music or theatre — including music groups, ensembles and private lessons.
All Central students can perform in one of 19 ensembles, ranging from classical to jazz to pop. The Mills Gallery showcases art exhibitions throughout the year, including student exhibits in the spring. Theatre programs involve students in every facet of stage production, with a handful of major productions annually. A wide range of campus life opportunities, including many linked to volunteering and service-learning, attract students in large numbers.
Selected Rankings and Recognition
- Central Students have won some of the nation’s most prestigious scholarships and awards for academic achievement and leadership. In 2020 Central students and brought home a Goldwater Scholarship and a Udall Scholarship, respectively.
- One of the Best National Liberal Arts Colleges, U.S. News and World Report, 2020
- One of the Best Colleges for Kinesiology and Physical Therapy in America, Best Christian Colleges in America, Best Colleges for Education in America and a Best Value College in Iowa, Niche.com, 2020
- Top 15% in the nation for Division III Women’s Soccer program, collegefactual.com, 2020
- One of the Best Christian Colleges and Universities, edsmart.org, 2020
- Top 20 Liberal Arts Colleges in the country for close student-professor relationships, bestliberalartscolleges.com, 2019
- One of the Top 10 Colleges and Universities in Iowa, wallethub.com, 2019
- One of the Best College Values in America, money.com, 2019
- One of the Best Christian Colleges and Universities in the Nation, Crosswalk.com, 2019
- One of the Best Value Colleges in Iowa, Safest College Campuses in Iowa, and Best College Food in Iowa by niche.com, 2019
- One of the of the Best Colleges in Iowa, Collegechoice.net, 2018
- One of the Best College Dorms in America, Best College Campuses in Iowa, Safest College Campuses in Iowa and Best College Athletics in Iowa, niche.com 2018
- One of the Top Colleges for Philosophy and Religious Studies, biggerfaith.org, 2018
- One of the Best Colleges for Intramural Sports in the Country, bestcolleges.com, 2018
- One of the Best Bachelor’s in Actuarial Science, College Choice, 2017
- One of the Top Up-and-Coming Programs for Psychology Degrees in the Midwest, bestpsychologydegrees, 2016
- Highest value-added to salary of any liberal arts college in Iowa, Brookings, 2015
- One of the 50 Most Underrated Colleges in America, Business Insider, 2015
- Awarded the Community Engagement Classification, Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, 2015
- Named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll eight times; twice as a finalist and once with distinction in the education category.
- One of only seven Iowa private colleges or universities with a chemistry program approved by the American Chemical Society.
- Named to Honor Roll for Character-Building Colleges by the John Templeton Foundation.
- , 247wallst.com, 2019
- One of The Best Places to Live in Iowa and one of the Safest Places to Live in Iowa, , 2018
Des Moines, Iowa
- #3 on , 2020
- #5 on , 2020
- #6 on , 2019
- One of 11 by Expedia, 2020
- , Criminalist, State Crime Lab, Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation
- , Entrepreneur, SkyView Midwest
- , High-Performance Health Care Provider, United States Olympics
- , Documentary Producer/Editor, National Geographic
- , Contestant, The Voice
- , Excellence in Teaching and Teacher of the Year Award Winner
- , Executive Director, U.S.-Kazakhstan Business Association, Washington, D.C.
- , Director of Partnership Marketing and Business Strategy, Kansas City Royals
- , Lieutenant Governor, State of Iowa
- , Assistant Athletic Trainer, Green Bay Packers
- , Awarded Des Moines Business Record Forty Under 40, 2014 and Amy Jennings Young Professional of the Year, 2013
- , Actor, The Phantom of the Opera National Tour
- Bernadette M. Allen ’78, U.S. Ambassador, U.S. Department of State
- , Emmy Award-Winning Journalist and NBC News Correspondent